[SystemSafety] Making Standards available to Standards Committees

SPRIGGS, John J John.SPRIGGS at nats.co.uk
Thu May 12 09:53:12 CEST 2016

ETSI provides many of its standards for free (I do not know whether it is all of them) and, in contrast with some of the organisations mentioned in this thread, it is a properly accredited regional standardisation organisation.

Unfortunately much of their safety work is limited to 'product safety' and installation, rather than 'functional safety'.  I have used them in the past for 'Electromagnetic compatibility and Radio spectrum Matters (ERM)' standards and Community Specifications, like EN 303 214.  See https://portal.etsi.org

When we have sorted out standards, we could turn our attention to text books, which are also prohibitively expensive in many cases.  I know Chris Hills wrote (11 May 2016 15:13) that most of us make a living selling knowledge, but you do not get much of a living if no-one buys...  If a book were to sell for twenty pounds, the revenue from sales is likely to be greater than if it were one hundred pounds.

John

If you are not the intended recipient, please notify our Help Desk at Email information.solutions at nats.co.uk
immediately. You should not copy or use this email or attachment(s) for any purpose nor disclose
their contents to any other person.

NATS computer systems may be monitored and communications carried on them recorded, to
secure the effective operation of the system.

Please note that neither NATS nor the sender accepts any responsibility for viruses or any losses
caused as a result of viruses and it is your responsibility to scan or otherwise check this email
and any attachments.

NATS means NATS (En Route) plc (company number: 4129273), NATS (Services) Ltd
(company number 4129270), NATSNAV Ltd (company number: 4164590)
or NATS Ltd (company number 3155567) or NATS Holdings Ltd (company number 4138218).
All companies are registered in England and their registered office is at 4000 Parkway,
Whiteley, Fareham, Hampshire, PO15 7FL.