[SystemSafety] Making Standards available .....

paul_e.bennett at topmail.co.uk paul_e.bennett at topmail.co.uk
Sun May 15 14:27:23 CEST 2016

On 15/05/2016 at 1:15 PM, "Martyn Thomas" <martyn at thomas-associates.co.uk> wrote:

>On 15/05/2016 05:28, Daniel Grivicic wrote:
>> What I would like to understand is why there is little coverage
>of
>> security in IEC61508. My reading of it only discovered high level
>> information. If safety and security were applied based on how
>much
>> coverage they have in IEC61508, I think you may find the current
>> balance the status-quo. A lot of safety and a little security.
>What
>> do others think?
>>
>> As a general question, do engineers (or others) really need this
>> (security) spelt out in a standard where current knowledge does
>focus
>> on security as an important partner to safety? Can best practice
>> evolve without a standard?

I know, from Chris Hills, that the MISRA-C are looking at including
security within their purview. Although 61508 was aimed at safety
it does have some valid input on risk reduction, and security is one
of the identifiable hazards for which risk reduction methods need to
be applied.

We probably have a sufficient number of standards although some
cross referencing between them would be useful. I am one who
does not apply a standard without filtering the requirements into
a form that is usable within my own process.

Regards

Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET
Systems Engineer

Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET.....<email://Paul_E.Bennett@topmail.co.uk>