[SystemSafety] Moral delemas and self driving cars

paul_e.bennett at topmail.co.uk paul_e.bennett at topmail.co.uk
Sat Nov 5 14:01:46 CET 2016

On 05/11/2016 at 12:11 PM, "Mike Ellims"  wrote:

	A couple of interesting bit’s culled from the New York Times:
	http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/06/opinion/sunday/whose-life-should-your-car-save.html?ref=opinion
	Which has a link too:
	http://moralmachine.mit.edu/
	I haven’t look at this in much detail but may have a play latter
today.
In a wider context, it is not just autonomous cars we are talking
about
but a much broader playing field including, perhaps, all AI based
systems.
Before they are trusted, I suspect that we will need the assurance
that
the sensors used to provide the AI elements with information will need

to become much better components. Sensors that have the sense of
their own state of health and correct functioning.

With the right mix of sensors and decently moral algorithms, we could
be encouraged to trust the autonomous systems more generally. Even
the autonomous bus could become an acceptably trusted means of
transport.

One of the failings of human drivers is not taking in the scene around
their vehicle for sufficient distance ahead, behind and to the sides.
An
autonomous vehicle would need no less sensing capability to base its
own decisions on.

I do not expect the vehicle systems to end up making the decisions
that human drivers would find themselves faced with. I, rather, would
expect such systems to have already sensed all conditions that may
lead to a problem and have dealt with such assessment in such a way
as to avoid having to make such decisions.

Regards
 Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET
 Systems Engineer
 Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET.....
 Forth based HIDECS Consultancy.............
 Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972
 Tel: +44 (0)1392-426688