[SystemSafety] Tram Accident in Croydon

Peter Bishop pgb at adelard.com
Fri Nov 11 10:38:52 CET 2016

Re 12 mph / 20 kph limit

Could this be an issue of the wrong speed units?
I.e. driver thinks the limit is 20*mph*?

Peter Bishop

> On 2016-11-10 09:36 , Andreoli, Kevin (UK) wrote:
>> I suspect the reason rail type safety is apparently not installed will be down to the thinking that
>> Trams are Buses on rails and not Tram = Train. .....
>
> The engineering involved will all have been by professional light-rail people well acquainted with
> the hazards of rail operation, of which overspeed in a changing track configuration is a very well
> known one, as is driver incapacity. I don't expect any comment on this list from UK rail engineers,
> but I wouldn't be surprised if at least one person reading this is thinking "you know, we did
> say......"
>
> The trams themselves are (first batch) Bombardier Flexity Swift CR4000 sets built in Vienna. They
> apparently do have a "deadmans's handle" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombardier_CR4000
>
> The second batch are Stadler Variobahn sets https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variobahn Stadler The
> Variobahn is a Bombardier design (originally called Variotram), manufacture of which was taken over
> by Stadler in 2001 (according to the Wikipedia page).
>
> I wrote:
>> It is the first fatal accident on UK rail/tram lines in 12 years,
>
> This is not so. It is maybe the first one in that time not involving system-external agency (even
> that is questionable - see 2016.08.07 below). The Wikipedia page on TfL Tramlink
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tramlink says:
>
>> On 7 September 2008, a bus on route 468 travelled through a red traffic signal and collided with tram
>> 2534 in George Street, Croydon. The impact caused the death of a passenger who was reported to have been
>> thrown through the upper front window of the bus.......
>>
>> On 13 September 2008, tram 2530 collided with a cyclist at Morden Hall Park footpath crossing between
>> Morden Road and Phipps Bridge tram stops. The cyclist sustained injuries from which he later died.
>
> And I read on the RAIB WWW site of four other fatal accidents in 2016 alone
> https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/raib-current-investigations-register/rail-accident-investigation-branch-current-investigations
>

> 2016.02.23 a pedestrian was struck by a train on a pedestrian level crossing
> 2016.08.07 a passenger on a train struck his head on a signal gantry
> 2016.08.15 a pedestrian was struck by a tram
> 2016.10.05 a mobility-scooter user was struck at a level crossing
>
> I also said:
>> The corner is apparently posted at 12 mph = 19 kph
>
> I took that figure from the newspaper report. The RAIB says it is posted at 20km/h
> https://www.gov.uk/government/news/fatal-tram-accident-in-croydon
>
> PBL
>
> Prof. Peter Bernard Ladkin, Bielefeld, Germany
> MoreInCommon
> Je suis Charlie
> Tel+msg +49 (0)521 880 7319  www.rvs-bi.de

Peter Bishop
Chief Scientist
Adelard LLP
24 Waterside, 44-48 Wharf Rd, London N1 7UX
http://www.adelard.com
Recep:  +44-(0)20-7832 5850
Direct: +44-(0)20-7832 5857

Registered office: Stourside Place, Station Road, Ashford, Kent TN12 1PP
Registered in England & Wales no. OC 304551. VAT no. 454 489808

This e-mail, and any attachments, is confidential and for the use of
the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, please
telephone 020 7832 5850. We do not accept legal responsibility for
this e-mail or any viruses.