[SystemSafety] Tumble-Dryer Dangers

Mike Ellims michael.ellims at tesco.net
Thu Oct 6 10:47:23 CEST 2016

We had our one modified about six months back (sometime near the start of the year), the modification looked pretty simple and only took 20 minutes, next door had theirs done the next day - by a different technician. The original scheduling had the modifications being done in November.

However 5 million machines at 20 minutes each is 1.6 million man hours or 200,000 work days not including driving time.

However, finding out that the machine was affected by the recall was difficult as the model number is hidden away on a sticker behind the door in a place where it's hard to read and there are a whole series of numbers that look very similar so my first check failed to identify it as a faulty machine...

I wasn't particularly worried as we only use the machine for 15 minutes at a time to take creases out of tee-shirts and jeans and the like so it's only ever run on the cold setting (everything is air dried) AND there is a dry powder fire extinguisher nearby (I just checked that and it's still good and suitable for up to 1000V). The amount of fluff that builds up is surprisingly large and now that gets cleaned out on a more regular basis now...

Aside from the minor problem of your house burning down and you losing a life's worth of possessions and memories there is also the issue that your insurance may not cover you if a) the device is under recall and b) you keep using the device. Anyone with one of these machines needs to check that.