[SystemSafety] Data across the UK National Grid [No Classification]

Barnes, Robert A (NNPPI) Robert.Barnes2 at rolls-royce.com
Tue Oct 11 11:30:54 CEST 2016

This message has been marked as No Classification by Barnes, Robert A (NNPPI)
The Radio Teleswitching Service (RTS) is still going, and even received a major upgrade in 2008.

It can transmit 16 different types of message block, with Type 0 being reserved for time synchronisation and idle condition blocks (http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/publications/rdreport_1984_19).  One of the block types is allocated to the Environment Agency for the operation of flood warning sirens (which used to be under the control of HANDEL), and I'm told that one of the types is allocated to the Royal Navy as an alternative to the VLF transmitter in Anthorn, Cumbria (however, I cannot vouch for the accuracy of this).  The remaining 13 types are shared between the distribution network operators and the National Grid for Economy 7, Economy 11 and demand-side load-shedding.

-Rob

The following attachments and classifications have been attached: