[SystemSafety] Aberfan 50 years on

paul_e.bennett at topmail.co.uk paul_e.bennett at topmail.co.uk
Mon Oct 17 15:12:25 CEST 2016

On 17/10/2016 at 1:18 PM, "Peter Bernard Ladkin" <ladkin at causalis.com> wrote:

>Friday is the 50th anniversary of the Aberfan disaster, when a tip
>collapsed and overran a primary
>school in Aberfan, Wales.

[%X]

>I remember as a 15 year old being thoroughly shocked and deeply,
>deeply saddened. All those kids,
>much younger than me, dead and gone. There must have been comments
>doing the rounds that it was a
>"natural disaster", because I remember thinking "Rubbish. Someone
>built that tip, right above a
>primary school. Or someone built that primary school right under
>the tip. One or the other."
>
>It was far worse than that. Slides had happened before at Aberfan,
>and elsewhere, and it was well
>known, locally and at the NCB, that the tip was build on top of
>springs. The NCB had simply been
>ignoring the situation.
>
>It is astonishing how people in power, such as Robens at the NCB,
>could get away with such a
>response as Greenslade and Edwards describe. It bears thinking
>about. It is such past situations
>that have led to the HSE and to the crime of corporate
>manslaughter. We have people such as Lord
>Cullen to thank for all that.

Peter, As a younger person than you (but not by much) I also remember
that incident and how I felt that it was the unthinking folly of the NCB that
was the root cause. I had, by that time, seen other man-made
embankments collapse under the influence heavy rain. Fortunately, the
ones I witnessed caused no loss of life.

Regards

Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET
Systems Engineer

Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET.....<email://Paul_E.Bennett@topmail.co.uk>