[SystemSafety] Blame the computer

Roberto Bagnara bagnara at cs.unipr.it
Fri Oct 21 21:56:27 CEST 2016

http://www.repubblica.it/scienze/2016/10/21/news/schiaparelli_foto-150301093/

For those who do not read Italian, the article cites statements
attributed to Roberto Battiston, the president of ASI, the Italian
Space Agency.  Here is the translation of a few sentences, appearing
in quotes also in the original:

"If the computer did not make a mistake, we would have had the icing
on the cake, but we do have the cake."

"In this case it was a fault of the computer, but nothing was wrong
from the technical point of view."

And concludes with: "Sure, without the error made by the computer
everything would have been perfect, but I think we can be really
happy."

--
     Prof. Roberto Bagnara

Applied Formal Methods Laboratory - University of Parma, Italy
mailto:bagnara at cs.unipr.it
                              BUGSENG srl - http://bugseng.com
                              mailto:roberto.bagnara at bugseng.com