[SystemSafety] More on Cladding

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at causalis.com
Thu Aug 3 10:49:49 CEST 2017

A set of new tests has been designed, involving a 9m section of the entire cladding system
(insulation material attached to inner wall, possible air gap, then outer cladding, with attachments
and between-panel fixation.

Apparently there are six tests. Of the 111 buildings whose outer panels were initially tested
according to the BS combustability test (and all failed), 82 have now failed the first of this new
series.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/aug/02/grenfell-tower-cladding-system-in-111-buildings-fails-latest-round-of-tests

I think we can presume that many of these 82 buildings were clad according to the
building-regulation guidance, and thereby conclude that the guidance is demonstrably insufficient to
satisfy the building regulation, which is, to repeat my note of 2017-06-30.

Building Regulations 2010:

[begin quote]
External fire spread
B4. (1) The external walls of the building shall adequately resist the spread of fire over the walls
and from one building to another, having regard to the height, use and position of the building.
[end quote]
(
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/485420/BR_PDF_AD_B1_2013.pdf
p39)

It may seem somewhat odd to suggest this, but there is a certain ground for hope. We cannot restore
the lives of those Grenfell residents who lost them. But, through this new testing regime, those who
say "never again" are clearly acquiring the requisite knowledge to ensure it.

PBL

Prof. Peter Bernard Ladkin, Bielefeld, Germany
MoreInCommon