[SystemSafety] UK principles for security of driverless cars [No Classification]

Matthew Squair mattsquair at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 02:12:47 CEST 2017

My experience is that if you give a principles document to an engineer for
whom it is not their ‘bread and butter’ it will be used to prop open the
door. To go from principles to application in any discipline requires
expertise.

There’s also a simple solution that I think everyone is studiously
overlooking, and that’s to legislate that you can’t connect a car’s
critical systems to the internet. Everyone acts as if the
interconnectedness of everything is a lay down mazare, but the reality is
it’s a social choice like anything else, and there’s nothing that says that
you [have] to trade off security/safety for the convenience of the Tesla
corporation (or any other).

The other perspective is that once you have an exploitable remote attack
for one car, you have it for [all] the cars running that software, that you
can reach. That was the take home of the Chrysler/Jeep hack for me. Again
we tend to fall into the trap of thinking about these problems as just one
instance. But we actually need to scale up the severity to cover the
scenario, of what happens if all the cars released by company X are hacked
and (for example) suddenly start indiscriminately accelerating, braking and
reversing? Botnet jihad anyone?

https://criticaluncertainties.com/2015/07/25/more-internet-of-everything-hijinks/#more-9787

On 9 August 2017 at 9:12:49 am, Driscoll, Kevin R (
kevin.driscoll at honeywell.com) wrote:

> What we should be worried about is someone remotely abusing …

At the recent “Black Hat”, another “slew of Tesla attacks
<http://keenlab.tencent.com/en/2017/07/27/New-Car-Hacking-Research-2017-Remote-Attack-Tesla-Motors-Again/>
” was revealed as well as details of last year’s.  Of course, both last
year’s and this year’s vulnerabilities are claimed to have been patched.
Next year, …

We should do better than the “pile of bandages” approach to safety and
security.  An in-vehicle network designed for safety and security would
have stopped all the external automobile attacks I know of, which “leap
frog” from a broken non-critical system to critical functions via the
vehicle’s network.

> Views?
Typical “do everything”, without regards to cost or feasibility.  An
example of the latter:

*Principle 5.1 *The security of the system does not rely on single points
of failure, security by obscuration or anything which cannot be readily
changed, should it be compromised.

So, everything has to be readily changeable, which requires a change
mechanism that then becomes the single-point-of-failure.  Replace
“competing standards” with “single points of failure” in the comic
xkcd.com/927.  Look at all the attacks where the vector was the “flashing
mechanism” used to implement this principle.

In general, it is not clear that “defence in depth” is more cost-effective
than fewer and better defences.  Without such evidence, all of Principle 5
is argument from ignorance or assumption of infinite size, weight, power,
and cost budgets.

What disk on a vehicle needs “full disk encryption” vs just file encryption
for some files??

</troll mode>