[SystemSafety] Is risk engineering an art?

paul_e.bennett at topmail.co.uk paul_e.bennett at topmail.co.uk
Mon Aug 14 04:35:03 CEST 2017

On 14/08/2017 at 1:32 AM, "Daniel Grivicic" <grivsta at gmail.com> wrote:

>Hello everyone,
>
>In some current readings I have seen the term 'art' being used when
>discussing the application of safety ideas.
>
>Is risk engineering an art or is it fair to consider it an art in
>particular circumstances? What would these circumstances be?
>
>Any input is appreciated.

Hi Daniel,

  I see the application of technology to require a balance of art and science.
Every engineer should be able to tell a story (an everyday occurrence
hopefully), Writing stories is seen as an art-form. Drawings can be as much
art as technical design. Developing a safe system needs the generation of
a multitude of pictures and the right story being told.

As a STEM Ambassador, I feel we are really missing something if we do not
include the Art aspect (it really should be STEAM or TEAMS).

Regards

Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET
Systems Engineer

Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET.....<email://Paul_E.Bennett@topmail.co.uk>