[SystemSafety] HFACS Pros and Cons - On Behalf of Brian Smith

paul_e.bennett at topmail.co.uk paul_e.bennett at topmail.co.uk
Fri Aug 25 13:15:12 CEST 2017

On 25/08/2017 at 11:35 AM, "DREW Rae" <d.rae at griffith.edu.au> wrote:

>Paul,
>Because to have something implemented within an organisation, need
>more
>than just a nice solution. You need a solution, recognition of a
>problem,
>and a decision-making all at the same time.
>There's also only so much time, attention and money to go around.
>Just
>because you have a safety solution doesn't mean there is
>automatically an
>opportunity to implement it.
>
>After an accident, there is an opportunity to make decisions -
>i.e. the
>spotlight is on safety, and there is motivation to make change.
>It's the
>job of a safety manager to have solutions ready, and
>(arguably - this is debatable) to frame the problem to match those
>solutions.

I got spoilt at my last permanent position where we were encouraged to
continue improving safety of the research operations all the time. It took
time in implementation, but if you made a case for the improvements then
it would likely get implemented.

The research establishment (in high energy physics) were, during my
time aiming at and achieving a Zero Injured Persons goal.

Regards

Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET
Systems Engineer

Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET.....<email://Paul_E.Bennett@topmail.co.uk>