[SystemSafety] Safety Culture

Fredrik Asplund fasplund at kth.se
Sun Dec 10 15:41:09 CET 2017

1,3. As Gareth alluded to, every company has an organisational culture which safety culture is a part of. "Safety culture" is simply the aspects of organisational culture that relates to risk, a term to allow others to know what you are focusing on. That is if you accept that organisations are "more" than their individual members. (For a basic discussion regarding this I suggest Nooteboom, 2000, "Learning by Interaction: Absorptive Capacity, Cognitive Distance and Governance") However, there are very different views on what "culture" then is. (See e.g. Edwards, Davey, and Armstrong, 2013, "Returning to the roots of culture: A review and re-conceptualisation of safety culture".) I think I have already made my perspective clear, but there are more pragmatic ones - BAE Systems for instance released a framework that pointed out 10 different hands-on areas (communication, learning and sharing, ...).

2,4. Well, that depends on what *you* accept as proof of a causal relationship, which is intimately tied to which research paradigm, as well as which theoretical framework, you assume. Which ones would you assume/accept? (Sure, I am being a bit offhand here, but I don't really understand for what purpose you are asking the questions? Without narrowing them down a bit, they are nearly impossible to answer. So, perhaps if you elaborated a bit, I could give you my perspective on it.)

Sincerely,
/ Fredrik