[SystemSafety] Koopman replies to concerns over Toyota UA case

Derek M Jones derek at knosof.co.uk
Sun Dec 31 01:04:16 CET 2017

All,

Terminology: McCabe Cyclomatic Complexity is known by one or
more combinations of those three words.

Steve,

> 2) As others have said, Cyclomatic complexity by itself is insufficient.
> Many other measures need to be considered at the same time, specifically:
> Depth of decision nesting, Number of parameters, and Fan out. As a
> consultant friend of mine, Meilir Page-Jones, says, ³Software complexity
> is not a number, it¹s a vector².

No. software complexity is a sales pitch.

Yes, there are lots of measures.  But none of them will tell you that
a function with a complexity metric of 146 is the best choice.  That
information can only be obtained by talking to the people involved.

The box tickers need to be kept happy.  Keep your metric values
low and you don't get a walk on role in some profs slide deck:
Page 38 of
https://users.ece.cmu.edu/~koopman/pubs/koopman14_toyota_ua_slides.pdf
or someone's blog:
https://criticaluncertainties.com/2013/11/11/toyota-and-the-sphagetti-monster/

I can reduce the complexity (by creating lots of smaller functions)
and nobody will be any the wiser.
Where does the 'missing' complexity go?
It now exists in the dependency relationships between all the functions
I have created; these dependency relationships are not included
in the book keeping (as it exists today, somebody may invent a way of
measuring it tomorrow).

This is an accounting fraud.

All this talk of other metrics is vacuous hand waving (I tend to treat
inventions of new metrics as unfunny jokes; it is possible somebody
has invented something useful and I have missed it).