[SystemSafety] Koopman replies to concerns over Toyota UA case

clayton at veriloud.com clayton at veriloud.com
Sun Dec 31 02:00:23 CET 2017

Derek,

>>>  Claiming
>>> that code is untestable or unmaintainable is a marketing statement, not
>>> engineering.
>> Slides aside, I believe the engineering position was  "infeasible # of tests required…” or something like that.
>
> Infeasible from what perspective?  Money budgeted, maximum that could
> be spent and the company still make a profit, maximum the customer is
> willing to pay for a car (the regulatory could have a say in the last
> option)?

The perspective  is at the System Level, and infeasible” as in "The Infeasibility of Quantifying the Reliability of Life-Critical Real-Time Software -  Butler, Finelli” (the paper Professor Koopman often references).

> Chopping the 1,400 lines up into 100 functions does not make the
> testability problem go away,

Yes, I agree (again). Seems bringing up cyclomatic metrics to make this point is mixing (bad) apples with oranges.

Clayton Weimer
https://www.linkedin.com/in/weimer/ <https://www.linkedin.com/in/weimer/>