[SystemSafety] Volkswagen UK before the Select Committee

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at causalis.com
Mon Feb 27 09:06:22 CET 2017

On 2017-02-22 12:27 , Chris Hills wrote:

> I think he was being very careful with his words and plausible deniability.
> He would only comment on UK operations and made no definitive statements on other parts of the
> operation where it happened.

It's different in Germany. VW has to restitute and its restitution tactics are front-page news,
indeed it was the major story last Thursday.

VW has offered all owners of affected cars something. For many, it is not enough: a lawyer in
Düsseldorf has between 1,500 clients. I understand many people want out of their sales contract and
their money back. Seems a reasonable wish, given that they have been misled during a sale, with no
practicable means of checking the truth for themselves.

Something between 150 and 180 cases have made it to court, and three-quarters have been won by VW
and its dealers. That means a quarter, some 40, have been won by the plaintiffs. Whoever loses can
appeal if there are grounds. Apparently, cases in which plaintiffs have lost have gone to appeal and
VW is settling before the cases are heard.

You'd think a class action would be more efficient for the legal system.

PBL

Prof. Peter Bernard Ladkin, Bielefeld, Germany
MoreInCommon