[SystemSafety] Apple being sued for illegal use of Facetime

Smith, Brian E. (ARC-TH) brian.e.smith at nasa.gov
Thu Jan 5 01:46:11 CET 2017

Perhaps IT-enabled cars are becoming so complex and non-generic that the “type certification” process required for airline pilots should be applied to drivers WRT their highly-automated vehicles?  Do manufacturers provide such training before an owner is permitted to drive the car off the lot?  I don’t know.

Pilot certification in the United States – Wikipedia<https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0ahUKEwjxqK3O4KnRAhXpy4MKHeXvAxYQFggjMAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FPilot_certification_in_the_United_States&usg=AFQjCNFlA_BL6MikTOixKRawuBIZR7kRcA&sig2=5rRiUOC4QzMnXDNDR0i4hg>

"An FAA-issued pilot certificate is evidence that an individual is duly authorized to exercise piloting privileges." - analogous to a basic driver license.

"A type rating is required in a specific make and model of aircraft if the aircraft weighs more than 12,500 lb (5,700 kg) at takeoff or is powered by one or more turbojet engines. The Boeing 747, Beechcraft Super King Air 350, and the Hawker Hunter are examples of aircraft that require type ratings.”

Absent model-specific training, do we really want to depend on “drivers’ ed” given to high school kids as sufficient qualification for driving a Tesla once they can afford one years later?

On 1/4/17, 4:07 PM, "systemsafety on behalf of Tim Schürmann" <systemsafety-bounces at lists.techfak.uni-bielefeld.de<mailto:systemsafety-bounces at lists.techfak.uni-bielefeld.de> on behalf of tschuerm at techfak.uni-bielefeld.de<mailto:tschuerm at techfak.uni-bielefeld.de>> wrote:

Well, correct me if i'm wrong... but isn't the acquisition of your
'driving licence' the 'operator training'.
Are you, (so to say) suggesting one should get a specific training from
the manufacturer of ones preferred car?

Kind Regards
Tim