[SystemSafety] ROHS and Safety critical applications

paul_e.bennett at topmail.co.uk paul_e.bennett at topmail.co.uk
Mon Jan 23 23:12:35 CET 2017

On 23/01/2017 at 9:40 PM, "Amund Westin"  wrote:

	The EU directive ROHS (Restriction Of Hazardous Substances) cover
almost all kind of Electrical and Electronic Equipment (EEE). The
scope is to reduce the amount of lead, Mercury, Cadmium and some other
substances. This means that most EEEs have to be produced with lead
free components and solder.
	As far as I can see, there are no exemptions for safety critical
applications. ROHS applies.

	I would like to hear from you guys doing safety critical design, that
you have the same understanding.
I was discussing the tin-whisker problem (which seems more prevalent
in
Lead free solder solutions) with some people working in High Energy
Electronic Systems. It is something they are looking at quite closely
as
tiny whiskers of material between circuits carrying high voltages and
hundreds of Amps can be quite devastatingly damaging to the equipment.

There were opinions that Leaded Solder could be used if a case for it
was made and that the equipment disposal was carefully controlled. I
am
not sure that RoHS allows such an option. It seems that if such a
course
of action were not permitted we would be faced with equipment we know
will fail at some point or requires a higher level of maintenance
attention.

Regards
 Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET
 Systems Engineer
 Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET.....
 Forth based HIDECS Consultancy.............
 Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972
 Tel: +44 (0)1392-426688