[SystemSafety] Historical Questions

paul_e.bennett at topmail.co.uk paul_e.bennett at topmail.co.uk
Thu Mar 9 01:58:35 CET 2017

On 08/03/2017 at 11:50 PM, "Drew Rae" <d.rae at griffith.edu.au> wrote:

>Folks,
>I have a couple of questions about the history of system safety
>that I’m digging for answers to, but there may be those on the
>list who can provide shortcuts.
>
>Accident investigation in the modern sense really  became a thing
>in the 19th century, along with the rise and increasing power of
>“inspectorates”. Some of the investigations are surprisingly rich
>in their discussion of organisational, regulatory and socio-
>technical aspects of safety.
>The big difference that I’m interested in between modern accident
>investigations and regulators and 19th century investigations and
>regulators is the discussion of generic safety practices such as
>identifying, assessing and managing risks. Early reports will talk
>about specific design features (e.g. boiler safety valves) and
>specific practices (e.g. what a railway signalman should or
>shouldn’t have done). They will also talk about generic management
>practices such as supervision, training, competency and
>information sharing.
>
>My questions - and I’d be pleased for people to just answer from
>their personal knowledge, to help me narrow it down
>
>1. When did people start talking about the importance of
>identifying hazards, assessing risks etc as general practices?
>
>2. When did people start talking about not doing these things or
>doing them badly as a cause of accidents?
>
>Ideally I’d like to pin down the earliest few instances of these
>ideas.

Hi Drew,

I wonder if this link might help. It is focussed on Maritime Incidents and
the customary apportionment of responsibility for losses during voyages
some time BC.

<http://maritimeaccident.org/2008/12/history-of-maritime-accident-investigation-from-who-to-blame-to-how-to-stop-accidents/>

I know that, in the building trade during ancient times, architects
and builders families could lose their homes if a building they erected
collapsed (something learned on a Museum visit some while back).

I guess, the answer is, we have had formal investigations for a very
long time, but the methods and evidential requirements have improved
over the years.

Regards

Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET
Systems Engineer