[SystemSafety] Historical Questions

Drew Rae d.rae at griffith.edu.au
Thu Mar 9 07:18:16 CET 2017

When was the first accident report that found explicitly that failure to conduct a *risk assessment* was a cause of the accident?

When was the first regulation that required explicitly that *risk assessment* should be conducted?

*risk assessment* is unlikely to be the language that was used at the time. I’m interested in anything that has the nature of a generic safety activity, rather than an industry-specific hazard mitigation.
I’m also making an important distinction between “Took an unacceptable risk” and “Failed to properly assess the risk”. Blaming people for taking risks is older than the pyramids. Blaming people for not properly assessing the risks is what I’m looking for.

An answer would be something like:
In the Columbia Accident Investigation Board report, they have a whole chapter on system safety processes, talking about when they were conducted, who conducted them, and why they didn’t prevent the accident.
The actual answer to my question is not Columbia, and is far more likely to be a passing mention than a chapter.