[SystemSafety] Historical Questions

Matthew Squair mattsquair at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 10:48:12 CET 2017

>> When was the first regulation that required explicitly that *risk assessment* should be conducted?

Not strictly regulation (sorry). But I’m aware of the physicist George Compton’s narrative of how the risk of a runaway fusion reaction in sea water or the air was considered in the Manhattan project. He quoted 3 chances in a million as being considered ‘acceptable'. The actual declassified report LA-602 is determinedly safety factor oriented and not at all a probabilistic risk assessment. So perhaps a rhetorical device of George's. Good news though, you’d need a bomb of about a 1000 square meters volume (e.g real big) and even then Compton scattering would prevent a full runaway. There are also the classic operations research problems from WWII which introduced probability of survival/success as outcomes to be quantitatively assessed. Not strictly safety or regulations but very similar problems.