[SystemSafety] A Common Programming Language for the Department of Defense

Derek M Jones derek at knosof.co.uk
Mon May 1 17:19:31 CEST 2017

Ben,

Thanks for locating and posting this report.

It is often forgotten that the original intent was for ADA (or
whatever language had been chosen) to save the DOD lots of money.

Would a single language have reduced personnel costs (around 70%
of costs according to this report)?  It would certainly have
made it easier to find staff and reduced the ability of people
who knew any non-mainstream languages used by DOD project to
charge a premium for their services.

Increased reliability is a side effect of having everybody use
the same language.

Lots of users means lots of potential customers for tool vendors,
who compete by improving tools and as well as reducing prices.

More developers using a compiler means the faults get found quicker
and it is more worthwhile for vendors to fix them.

Those wanting more numbers can find them in the following report,
cited as a source by P-1046:
https://publicaccess.dtic.mil/psm/api/service/search/search?q=&num=10&site=default_collection&as_epq=Information+Processing%2FData+Automation+Implications+of+Air+Force+Command+and+Control+Requirements+in+the+1980s&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_occt=any&btnG=Search