[SystemSafety] A Common Programming Language for the Department of Defense

Michael Jackson maj at jacksonma.myzen.co.uk
Tue May 2 15:27:47 CEST 2017

Yes.

The purpose of executing the software by computing equipment is to affect behaviour in the physical world—the effects spreading outwards from the computers’ I/O ports: the further from the ports the more unpredictable and the more attenuated these effects are. Requirements are desired properties, effects and consequences of this behaviour. They can be formalised or informal, located almost anywhere: from “Don’t break this actuator” to “Don’t surprise the pilot” to “Make the product attractive to EU governments.”

Yes, ‘what vs how’ hierarchies are involved, but developing a structure of behaviours will be bottom-up as well as top-down, won’t it?

— Michael Jackson