[SystemSafety] Safety and Cybersecurity. Again.

Matthew Squair mattsquair at gmail.com
Tue May 16 10:39:54 CEST 2017

Re: the NHS

IIRC the NHS has been under an effective funding freeze (conservative initiated) since about 2010. Funding does increase but not matching inflation rates. Plus the usual outsourcing of noncore activities like IT, yay.

Size of problem? As of 2014 there were about 1.08M desktops running XP in the NHS. That's big, a real big number.

To renegotiate a major government support contract is a multi year effort and a very political exercise. Extending the XP support to cover the gap is doable, but the cost goes up (a lot), thanks MS.

You want to upgrade to Win 10? Ok, we're talking big dollars for hardware upgrades ($100M+?) as a ballpark plus say one tech day  for swap and go do that's a million labour days and cost. But you can't parachute in a Mobile strike team, it's all decentralised, and tailored so it'll take time to figure out (for example) how to recert that MRI that's running XP for example.

So I'm not surprised that this got put in the intractable basket by the trust. They're struggling if you hadn't noticed. I also think the snarky comments by the current (conservative) Minister are invidious to say the least.

Cheers,

Matthew Squair

MIEAust, CPEng
Mob: +61 488770655