[SystemSafety] "Security Risk" and Probability

Todd Carpenter todd.carpenter at adventiumlabs.com
Thu Nov 2 21:38:55 CET 2017

> What seems a little harder to construct is an example of
> software which is safe (that is, implements a safety function
> per requirement) but may be made to violate
> availability. Anyone?

Sure. Back to that medical device example. Let's say for the sake of
argument that the device is an analgesic infusion pump. The device can
be safe - it won't overdose the patient under any circumstances. An
attacker takes over the radio, and causes a DDoS attack on the network.
That's an availability attack on the network, or on other devices on the
network. You might argue, "No, that's availability on other things."

OK, let's assume the radio is used for reporting drug usage to the
billing group at the hospital. The attackers use so much of the radio
that it blocks the pump's ability to report back to the hospital,
forcing a manual intervention for billing, even though the device still
provides safe pain relief to the patient. That's availability on desired
functionality of the pump itself.

Let's assume we have a more complicated device which needs a drug
library update. Again, the radio is busy, and the pump won't get the
update. The hospital procedure is to not use the pump if the device's
internal library isn't up-to-date. The device remains perfectly safe (by
the medical definition of safe, perhaps not yours), but useless. That's
an availability attack in the extreme.