[SystemSafety] Killer Robots

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at causalis.com
Mon Nov 13 08:50:17 CET 2017

Stuart Russell is to present at UNODA in Geneva today. The aim is a ban on killer-robot technology
of the same sort as the Biological Weapons Convention. As Russell says, the scenario shown in the
film is only an adaptation of existing technology. Minus the reliability, of course.

Back thirty years ago, I remember Stuart musing that he might want to become a politician rather
than an academic. Now he is both. This is exceptionally important work.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/nov/13/ban-on-killer-robots-urgently-needed-say-scientists

Two books I can recommend which discuss the philosophy and politics of killer (semi-)robots are:
* Théorie du Drone, by Grégoire Chamayou, La Fabrique Éditions 2013, english translation Drone
Theory, Penguin, 2015
* Drone, by Hugh Gusterson, MIT Press 2016.

There is also a book by journalist Jeremy Scahill and staff of The Intercept, about the current US
drone program, called The Assination Complex, Simon & Schuster (US), or Serpent's Tail (UK), 2016.

PBL

Prof. Peter Bernard Ladkin, Bielefeld, Germany
MoreInCommon