[SystemSafety] Bursting the formal methods bubble

Steve Tockey Steve.Tockey at construx.com
Wed Oct 25 19:28:13 CEST 2017

Derek wrote:

³If you do multiple implementations, e.g., Ada+formal or
Ada+Visual basic, you will detect more problems and the result will
be more reliable software.²

Do you mean ³N-Version development²? If so, this would seem to contradict
results published by Susan Brilliant, John Knight, and Nancy Leveson in
their paper:

Analysis of Faults in an N-Version Software Experiment

IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON SOFTWARE ENGINEERING. VOL. 16. NO. 2, FEBRUARY 1990

You can find the paper on line at:

http://sunnyday.mit.edu/papers/nver2.pdf

The point I got out of that paper was that developers don¹t make randomly
different mistakes, they usually make the same systemic mistakes (notably
involving boundary value problems) so N-Version development isn¹t really
effective at exposing problems (and is a lot more expensive, at the same
time).

‹ steve