[SystemSafety] What Tesla says about its autopilot

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at causalis.com
Tue Dec 4 07:17:31 CET 2018

A businessman was arrested on DUI after travelling with his Tesla along freeway 101 in the South Bay
(Redwood City and Palo Alto, just north of Silicon Valley) at 70mph on "autopilot".
https://www.paloaltoonline.com/news/2018/11/30/los-altos-planning-commissioner-arrested-for-tesla-dui

Apparently Tesla is claiming great things for its technology:

[begin quote]
Palo Alto-based Tesla's website states that "all Tesla vehicles produced in our factory, including
Model 3, have the hardware needed for full self-driving capability at a safety level substantially
greater than that of a human driver."
[end quote]

I wonder how they come to that conclusion?

As the article notes, it is not the first time that someone too inebriated to drive legally has
climbed into his Tesla and turned on the autopilot. I doubt the safety claim above takes into
account that people otherwise unable to drive are going to try to do so on "autopilot".

PBL

Prof. Peter Bernard Ladkin, Bielefeld, Germany
MoreInCommon