[SystemSafety] What Tesla says about its autopilot

Les Chambers Les at chambers.com.au
Mon Dec 17 22:17:45 CET 2018

 I recently had the pleasure of driving a friend’s very expensive Mercedes-Benz. On the freeway
it maintains a safe distance from the car in front automatically. I was Surprised at  how this
reduces stress on a long drive. But was also horrified having to wake myself up when we
approached the offramp. This is a minor issue that we can adapt to over time. I believe that
eventually we will evolve into self driving but I am against the step change of putting a ‘manual’
driver cold turkey into a self driving car. The major automakers will get us there in graduated
steps, I hope.
As for Tesla, if the recent article on Tesla’s manufacturing hell in Wired magazine is truthful,
there could be no chance of having an effective functional safety management  program in that
company. In the heat of their recent production ramp up anyone opposing Elon Musk gets fired
in a fit of rage.

> I went to the cinema with my son some time ago to see "Napping Princess", also known as
"Ancien and the Magic Tablet".  It is a classic fairy tale with King (CEO), Grand Vizier (Executive
Director), Princess, and, of course, autonomous vehicles.  The film contains a line that may be
pertinent here, the engineer is talking to one of his Customers and says something like, "At least
pretend you are driving, or you will get us all arrested"…

Of Peter Bernard Ladkin
> Sent: 04 December 2018 06:18
> To: The System Safety List
> Subject: [SystemSafety] What Tesla says about its autopilot
>
> A businessman was arrested on DUI after travelling with his Tesla along freeway 101 in the
South Bay
> (Redwood City and Palo Alto, just north of Silicon Valley) at 70mph on "autopilot".
> https://www.paloaltoonline.com/news/2018/11/30/los-altos-planning-commissioner-arrested-
for-tesla-dui<https://www.paloaltoonline.com/news/2018/11/30/los-altos-planning-commissioner-
arrested-for-tesla-dui>

information.solutions at nats.co.uk
> immediately. You should not copy or use this email or attachment(s) for any purpose nor
disclose
> their contents to any other person.
>
> NATS computer systems may be monitored and communications carried on them recorded, to
> secure the effective operation of the system.
>
> Please note that neither NATS nor the sender accepts any responsibility for viruses or any
losses
> caused as a result of viruses and it is your responsibility to scan or otherwise check this email
> and any attachments.
>
> NATS means NATS (En Route) plc (company number: 4129273), NATS (Services) Ltd
> (company number 4129270), NATSNAV Ltd (company number: 4164590)
> or NATS Ltd (company number 3155567) or NATS Holdings Ltd (company number 4138218).
> All companies are registered in England and their registered office is at 4000 Parkway,
> Whiteley, Fareham, Hampshire, PO15 7FL.

Les Chambers
les at chambers.com.au
+61 (0)412 648 992