[SystemSafety] Safety Culture redux (David Green)

Martyn Thomas martyn at thomas-associates.co.uk
Thu Feb 22 10:30:03 CET 2018

Section 3 of the UK Consumer Protection Act (implementing the EU Product
Liability Directive) says

*3 Meaning of “defect”.*

(1)Subject to the following provisions of this section, there is a
defect in a product for the purposes of this Part if the safety of the
product is not such as persons generally are entitled to expect; and for
those purposes “safety”, in relation to a product, shall include safety
with respect to products comprised in that product and safety in the
context of risks of damage to property, as well as in the context of
risks of death or personal injury.

(2)In determining for the purposes of subsection (1) above what persons
generally are entitled to expect in relation to a product all the
circumstances shall be taken into account, including—

(a)the manner in which, and purposes for which, the product has been
marketed, its get-up, the use of any mark in relation to the product and
any instructions for, or warnings with respect to, doing or refraining
from doing anything with or in relation to the product;

(b)what might reasonably be expected to be done with or in relation to
the product; and

(c)the time when the product was supplied by its producer to another;

and nothing in this section shall require a defect to be inferred from
the fact alone that the safety of a product which is supplied after that
time is greater than the safety of the product in question.

*Regards**
*

*Martyn*