[SystemSafety] Safety Culture redux (David Green)

Chris Hills safetyyork at phaedsys.com
Thu Feb 22 17:44:44 CET 2018

-----Original Message-----
From: systemsafety
[mailto:systemsafety-bounces at lists.techfak.uni-bielefeld.de] On Behalf Of
Andrew Banks
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2018 2:10 PM
To: systemsafety at lists.techfak.uni-bielefeld.de
Subject: Re: [SystemSafety] Safety Culture redux (David Green)

>> The definition I use is "failure to meet the reasonable expectations of
the user",
>> where what is reasonable is influenced by the documentation
(includingrequirements
>> specification if available, user manual etc.) or lack of it.

>An interesting angle... IMHO user expectation is not necessarily a good
metric :-)
>Andrew

That's the problem people expect "bugs" in software.
I suspect they will be less tolerant of "errors"

Apparently one of the people writing on "errors not bugs"  got a backlash
from some programmers saying you can't do that it will make us look bad...
Well yes. Time to face up to it and start doing software properly to
minimise the errors. Don't accept them as  inevitable as we do "bugs"

PS Andrew, congratulations on the new job.