[SystemSafety] Safety Culture redux (David Green)

Les Chambers les at chambers.com.au
Fri Feb 23 01:17:33 CET 2018

Todd

Can I put an opposing view?

That in eliminating the word "bug" you will not eliminate the problem. The objective here is to change people's behaviour. The transition you want is careless to careful.

Bug is a metaphor. People are influenced by metaphors. If you don't like bug think of a better metaphor. How about: "murder suspect". Has it occurred to anyone that we've had all these definitions for decades yet we still have "bugs". Further refinement of our dictionaries is not the solution. More compelling metaphors are the key.

I digress: back in the day I wrote a control task that operators would use infrequently to recover from an anomalous situation in a chemical reactor. Because they didn't use it often they tended to forget its name. So I renamed it "sex". That got their attention. "Got a problem? You need sex! ... damn right "

Culture change is hard. Left alone people will take the least disruptive option. Discomfort is necessary. We have to be forced into it. A dictionary has never caused me any discomfort. The clear and present danger that my negligence might destroy property and kill people did. In my experience, by far the most effective tool for culture change in code quality is the code review. Not only does it focus on improving the quality of the work product but it instils cultural norms in all the participants. The current thinking is that culture change occurs by people working together. So you need to give them a reason to work together.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against using precise terms in engineering reports. But recognise that we're not discussing the beauty of an engineering report here. We're dealing with preventive action on the human psyche. It's a random and messy place where influence happens through metaphor backed up by action. Start reading here:

http://shu.bg/tadmin/upload/storage/161.pdf

Les