[SystemSafety] Safety Culture redux (David Green)

Steve Tockey Steve.Tockey at construx.com
Sat Feb 24 08:25:33 CET 2018

My experience is that coding and developer testing should take no more than 10% of a software project’s effort. The industry average is reported to be closer to 60%.

“I know the figures many static analysis tool companies give is they tools can save up to 30% on project time by automating the error finding [almost] as the code is written.  However we need to change the culture that these are errors not “bugs” so that companies are less tolerant of them and therefore actually take steps to not have errors in their work”

Interesting. My experience with static analysis tools is that they are nowhere near able to save that amount of effort. They are simply too limited in the kinds of defects they are able to find.

Cheers,

— steve