[SystemSafety] Safety Culture redux

Steve Tockey Steve.Tockey at construx.com
Mon Feb 26 19:43:16 CET 2018

Mario,
You wrote:

³As far as I can see, the issue with static analysis is that
there is a wide bandwidth of approaches available under this name. Some
are good, some are outdated, some are inappropriate. The good ones that
we desire to use, I believe, rarely come at low cost. On the contrary,
these, even if sold as tools, require high skills and a lot of
experience to be effective.²

My concern is that these static analysis tools are only able to do
structural (aka syntactic) analysis of the code. They are completely
unable to do any significant semantic analysis of the code. As a simple
example, the declared contract of a function might be that it requires X
and guarantees Y but the analyzer is unable to tell me that the method
code is consistent (or not) with that declared contract.

Said a slightly different way, ³They call them bugs. We are trying to get
everyone to call them defects (or, errors). But they really are just
semantic inconsistencies². In order to be capable of finding the kinds of
problems I care about, the tools need to be able to do semantic analysis
of the code and that¹s orders of magnitude more difficult.

Cheers,

‹ steve