[SystemSafety] MC/DC coverage assumptions

Alexander.Much at elektrobit.com Alexander.Much at elektrobit.com
Wed Feb 28 21:05:11 CET 2018

Hi Derek, *,

[...]
> The authors admit that MC/DC coverage cannot be better than statement
> and branch coverage, and admit the current presentation of MC/DC
> coverage in the table could be misleading.  They are going to release a
> version with corrected data.

void f (void)
{
#if A || B
   something
#endif

   if (a || b)
   {
     /* something */
   }
}

Most tools don't consider the branches or conditions in the pre-processor: they only see one variant and instrument it.

That's why we include statement coverage instrumentation in our testing *in addition* to tool-based MC/DC.

Just 2c,
Alex

p.s.: I don't really know what MC/DC means if the conditions are subject to change. I haven't seen a tool that is
able to handle this...

if (a
#if FOO
#endif
   )
   /* something */

--
Alexander Much
Chief Expert - Head of Software Systems Engineering

EB - Driving the Future of Software
P +49 9131 7701 6384
M +49 172 7479804
E alexander.much at elektrobit.com

Elektrobit Automotive GmbH, Am Wolfsmantel 46, 91058 Erlangen, Germany
Managing Directors: Alexander Kocher, Gregor Zink; Register Court Fürth HRB 4886