[SystemSafety] Archive Back

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at causalis.com
Sat Jul 7 08:46:48 CEST 2018

We shall be inserting messages from then until now by hand as occasion permits.

The reason was that the air conditioning in our networks teaching lab, where the server cabinet is
situated, was turned off, following a discovery of Legionella in some parts of the university main
building air conditioning. The university has an extremely large main building, some 450m long, and
250m wide, so it was a major effort to install temporary emergency air conditioning and facilities
management had omitted our lab in the list of essential rooms to be supplied. That was fixed, but we
turned the servers off because of elevated temperatures. When we turned them back on after the room
was cooled down, the server running the (static) archive of www.rvs.uni-bielefeld.de and the active
systemsafetylist.org archive failed to reboot. One of the RAID controllers had failed. Since I am
statutorily retired, my group has no purchasing budget. We bought a used controller for a few euros
on Ebay and installed it.

That all seems as if it should be a story of a few days, but in fact it was a couple of months.

PBL

Prof. Peter Bernard Ladkin, Bielefeld, Germany
MoreInCommon