[SystemSafety] A Fire Code for Software?

paul_e.bennett at topmail.co.uk paul_e.bennett at topmail.co.uk
Tue Mar 6 20:13:23 CET 2018

On 06/03/2018 at 7:00 PM, "Derek M Jones" <derek at knosof.co.uk> wrote:

>As I keep reminding people,
>safety related software has a (lack of) dead body problem.

I am certain there are dead bodies around, caused by software errors.
However, whether those dead bodies have been properly ascribed to
the software as a cause is debatable.

The Toyota case left us with several dead bodies attributable to poor
system design and shoddy software.

I don't know how many eventually died from the Therac case.

We should be cataloguing these dead body cases somewhere central,
perhaps with the financial backing of insurance companies, so that
there is a central resource where the lessons can be given.

Regards

Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET
Systems Engineer
Lunar Mission One Ambassador
Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET.....
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy.............
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972
Tel: +44 (0)1392-426688