[SystemSafety] A Fire Code for Software?

Andy Ashworth andy at the-ashworths.org
Tue Mar 6 20:27:45 CET 2018

		The THERAC 25 analysis by Nancy Leveson has directly attributed deaths to software. However, this was nearly 30 years ago and I’m fairly sure that today’s developers would glibly ignores the lessons due to the passage of time. Ultimately, I believe that the widespread use of the PC has resulted in several unintended consequences.
1. The public accept programming errors as a matter of course (the infamous blue screen of death) and cannot see that there are potential homicdal consequences.
2. The widespread availability of programming tools has created a generation of programmers who have little or no knowledge of engineering rigour.
3. The widespread availability of tools in general has created a generation who have access to the tools previously restricted to qualified professionals - we’ve taught people how to do things, without giving them an understanding of the underlying rationale. Model based software development, accountancy packages, stress analysis packages, etc. - all contribute to the diminution of understanding in the user base.
Andy

		Get Outlook for iOS

On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 3:13 PM -0400, <paul_e.bennett at topmail.co.uk> wrote:

On 06/03/2018 at 7:00 PM, "Derek M Jones"  wrote:

>As I keep reminding people,
>safety related software has a (lack of) dead body problem.

I am certain there are dead bodies around, caused by software errors.
However, whether those dead bodies have been properly ascribed to
the software as a cause is debatable.

The Toyota case left us with several dead bodies attributable to poor
system design and shoddy software.

I don't know how many eventually died from the Therac case.

We should be cataloguing these dead body cases somewhere central,
perhaps with the financial backing of insurance companies, so that
there is a central resource where the lessons can be given.

Regards

Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET
Systems Engineer
Lunar Mission One Ambassador
Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET.....
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy.............
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972
Tel: +44 (0)1392-426688