[SystemSafety] EN 50128 in an IEC 61508 envelope

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at causalis.com
Thu Mar 8 09:22:56 CET 2018

Daniel,

On 2018-03-08 06:37 , Daniel Grivicic wrote:

> A safety case has been developed and a claim is made to EN50128. Is it fair, for example within the
> safety case requirements, to claim that "requirements in 50128 are met as they are met in 61508"?
> Certainly not a blanket claim but one in a context in a limited way.

"Fair" is not the question. Acceptable is the question. The answer is no.

EN 50128 has certain specific requirements for the safety case. You have to meet them, one by one.
There is nothing in EN 50128 which says that a safety case which has been found acceptable for IEC
61508 requirements is also acceptable to fulfil the requirements of EN 50128. It follows there is no
way available to you at present to invoke such a phenomenon to demonstrate fulfilment of the
requirements for EN 50128.

You could use that form of argument if there were a CEN/CENELEC TS mapping the one set to the other
and filling any gaps. As far as I know, there is no such document.

None of this means that there isn't significant commonality between the two sets of requirements.
Maybe someone could propose such a TS to CEN/CENELEC?

PBL

Prof. Peter Bernard Ladkin, Bielefeld, Germany
MoreInCommon