[SystemSafety] Autonomously Driven Car Kills Pedestrian

Martyn Thomas martyn at thomas-associates.co.uk
Fri Mar 23 11:41:52 CET 2018

On 23/03/2018 10:11, Peter Bishop wrote:

> There are lots more non-fatal accidents, and this may one way of getting
> an earlier estimate of how well self-drive is doing - i.e. are the
> non-fatal accident rates similar? Not sure what the human accident rate
> is, but my guess would be 1 in 100000 miles, so you could get 95%
> confidence for that rate with around a quarter of a million miles of
> accident free self-drive.
To compare like with like, you need reasonable confidence that the mix
of hazardous situations is the same, and that the reporting and
classification of "accidents" is the same, and that what you are
measuring is a strong indicator for what you really care about.

To illustrate the last point: it would be important to know if AVs had
far fewer cosmetic accidents (scrapes) but more accidents that caused
serious injuries.

Martyn