[SystemSafety] Autonomously Driven Car Kills Pedestrian

Michael Jackson maj at jacksonma.myzen.co.uk
Fri Mar 23 17:40:32 CET 2018

Martyn,

In your very nice lecture about driverless cars you rightly express (page 5, last paragraph)
your doubt that an overseeing human driver could reliably take control when the automatic
system fails or appears about to fail. You also point out the well-known evidence that pilots
similarly cannot take over reliably in an emergency. I offer a supporting point, and also an
anecdote.

First, 'becoming alert and aware’ is not an atomic instantaneous event: it takes time. Worse,
a competent human driver’s awareness of the traffic situation at a particular time is based
partly on observations made at earlier times. If you see a cyclist beginning to push her bike
across the opposite carriageway you should be fully prepared for her to continue across the
division into the carriageway on which you are driving.

Second, a true anecdote. A driver driving on an urban dual carriageway in light traffic set
cruise control to the speed limit of 60mph. He then took his feet off the pedals and placed
them with the soles flat on the carpet. A little later, suddenly seeing that he was coming to
a junction showing a red light, he tried unsuccessfully to brake, found that his efforts had
no effect, and crashed hard into the back of a car stationary at the lights. It turned out that
he had been pressing the clutch, not the brake. (Fortunately no-one was seriously injured.)

For me, the moral of the point and the anecdote is that when you are ‘relaxing' while the car
drives itself you must pay full attention to the traffic situation at all times, and also keep the
positions of your hands and feet, and your general body posture, constantly at the ready to
take over instantly. Nothing less will do.

So the responsibility in overseeing autonomous driving is worse than that of an old-fashioned
driving instructor in a dual-control car, teaching an untrusted learner—you can’t even order
the software to slow down: in short, it is far more demanding and stressful than driving the
car yourself.

Regards,

—Michael