[SystemSafety] Autonomously Driven Car Kills Pedestrian

Matthew Squair mattsquair at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 09:22:30 CEST 2018

The ‘robot cars are safer’ argument to my mind generally neglects the
alternative outcomes for such a proposition. That is the that total
accident rate:

1. increases. or
2. stubbornly stays the same.

A decrease would eventuate only if a robot car’s residual accident rate
ends up below that of human drivers and there’s no confounding factors.

Now it’s a truth universally acknowledged that technologies have a learning
curve behavior when it comes to safety (amongst other things). The
consequence of that is there’s an economic threshold up ahead for robot
cars where improvements just won’t economically viable.

So in the first instance what makes anyone think that robot car residual
accident rate will be above or below a human driver?