[SystemSafety] Open Autonomous Safety concept = hope or idealism?

Martin, BJ BJ.Martin at novasystems.com
Wed May 2 08:42:25 CEST 2018

Howdy list,
Long time reader, first time caller (be gentle with me)

I was most encouraged in the last week to read the following proposal from a start-up for industry sharing in safety. Still immature in content, but is it too idealistic for this kind of thing to work for good?

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/04/this-startups-ceo-wants-to-open-source-self-driving-car-safety-testing/
https://oas.voyage.auto/functional-safety/

I've followed the list previous debates in this area, watched Martyn's lecture, and read a bunch about what authorities in the US and European Union are thinking in order to gradually permit trials and learning safely without constraining opportunities for innovation by dictating design requirements.  My background is not from this industry but find myself involved in working groups for concept development for regulatory approaches. Disturbingly enough there are no leading views from the folk who are in the industry or regulatory spaces. ISO26262 is only part of the answer and it's not mandatory or universally used.

I am sympathetic to the plight of the various jurisdictional authorities, and concerned that left to going it alone many unwise mis-steps will be taken along the way. They are being pressed all over the world by governments to 'put up or shut up' on regulating so that the potential societal and safety (reduced human error or risk exposure) benefits of these technologies can be accessed.

Is there any known action or hope for a common and informed regulatory thinking being developed?  Or shall we all just muddle on abetting the robot revolution?

Cheers,--
BJ Martin
Nova Systems
Safety and Certification Capability Lead