[SystemSafety] Collected stopgap measures

Olwen Morgan olwen at phaedsys.com
Thu Nov 1 16:34:18 CET 2018

One thing that I sense (maybe wrongly?) from recent traffic is that a
goodly few of us use our own favourite techniques to help plug the holes
in weak development practices. Cut-down structured and OO methods seem
to be a case in point. I'm sure there are others.

Might there be some benefit in gathering here the tricks that many of us
may have used when faced with inadequate processes. Call me
simple-minded (many have called me worse) but I'm wondering if there
would be value in what might be called a "Software Process Cookbook" of
"Software Process Checklists" for high-integrity developments.

True, I'd prefer something direct, technical and possibly rather dry but
I'm thinking here about an appealing format. I'm wondering if something
like a cookbook or "for Dummies" format would appeal to people who would
otherwise never go near the sources that they need to be accessing to
help them do the job better.

Just a thought,

Olwen