[SystemSafety] Collected stopgap measures

Coq, Thierry Thierry.Coq at dnvgl.com
Fri Nov 2 10:58:22 CET 2018

Hi all,

I've had (very) bad experiences with "agile" people trying to make safety software. In each case, I had to re-train them completely or discard their work, since they would not provide the safety evidence required to demonstrate the safety of their software, and it was blindingly easy to find defects in so-called validated software that the value of their whole process was shown as nil, from the point of view of safety. "Standard" agile people don’t know how to write requirements, and they don’t know how to architect a system for durability, they introduce a large technical debt which leads to huge maintenance costs, and in the end, they don't how to test for safety, and from beginning to end, they don't know how to produce evidence as part of their daily work. Sadly. No other engineering discipline works like that. In fact, standard agile is not engineering at all, it is the opposite of engineering.

Also, there was a time in a my life when I was producing high-reliability software and systems, not necessarily safety software, and my teams were in competition with "Agile" teams. We were beaten on price on first delivery, although we were able to compete on schedule. No Agile team was ever able to beat my teams on a firm-fixed price project with 3 to 5 years warrantee, either on price or on schedule, after the first run. We kept the customers who understood what that meant. And we gained the customers that were "burnt" by the "Agile" teams the second time around. Making good requirements is a job, following up into design, into writing sources, and good test plans are also a job. We did that with a streamlined and (semi-)automated software factory that worked quite well. One element in it, that other people have commented elsewhere, is the value of well-done reviews performed at the different stages of development. Another element is that our sources were not implementation-like sources, but design-level sources, using the higher abstraction and higher readability languages I have mentioned earlier. Basically, we discarded one phase of the software development : implementation and went directly from detailed design to integration and testing. That reduces a huge amount of work, to implement, to remove defects, and even a lot of unit testing, even if it is automated.

Making documentation after the fact is very onerous, and less competitive than having a streamlined and automated software factory that is designed for producing high reliability software from the beginning.

On the other hand, I've had no problems using Agile-like processes for making discardable prototypes, if the need arose to clarify requirements, check performance, validate architecture, design GUI's or whatever else was missing to complete the project.

Best regards,
Thierry Coq
DNV GL
+33 (0)6 80 44 57 92