[SystemSafety] Collected stopgap measures

Martyn Thomas martyn at thomas-associates.co.uk
Sun Nov 4 12:41:55 CET 2018

Paul

Please don't take offense at the style of some of the responses on this
list. The signal-to-noise ratio is generally reasonably high, there's a
lot of expertise here (and a lot of frustration because so many
safety-related systems are built unprofessionally and unsafely and it
seems impossible to achieve the necessary culture changes).

Your questions and challenges have been constructive and useful, in my
opinion.

You are right of course that Linux is used in critical systems but it is
an open question whether that is adequately safe, secure or (in some
countries) legal, because of the problem of establishing its effect on
the dependability of the system. (There's been a lot of debate here
about the "proven in use" approach to assurance. Summarising that
deserves a separate thread but, in essence, there's insufficient
scientific basis for almost all such claims).

So please hang in here. We need people who are doing their best and
willing to engage with others who are doing the same.

Regards

Martyn