[SystemSafety] Broken standardisation [was: Collected stopgap measures]

grivsta at gmail.com grivsta at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 23:10:25 CET 2018

EVS-EN 61508 Parts 1 to 7, 2010 (English) can be purchased in paper format
for 187.35 Euro (perhaps plus shipping). A 10 user electronic licence for
part 6 is 59.05 Euro  (compared to 23.62 Euro for a single licence) and I
am assuming a similar relationship for the other parts in quantity. This
price is offered by the Estonian Centre for Standardisation. Certainly not
inexpensive, however, I would suggest it is affordable in many workplaces,
agreed not all. Further investigation into the electronic licencing
agreement may allow for a "class set" to be distributed by a university for
students.

I agree that it is not easy to obtain the standard at no cost. There are
legitimate avenues for a significantly reduced investment.