[SystemSafety] Autopilot interface?

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at causalis.com
Thu Nov 8 19:34:24 CET 2018

On 2018-11-08 17:53 , Olwen Morgan wrote:

> One should not, IMO, rely on training to compensate for a suboptimal HMI. I don't know enough about
> these systems to be able to say whether that has happened here but I tend to have a high index of
> suspicion in the matter.

I do know about these systems. I think your intuition is spot on.

There is an non-annunciated order dependency in the configuration. The flight crew configured the
system, but got something in the wrong order.

Had they paid attention to a small annunciation on the top right of the PFD, and asked themselves
why it was showing what it was showing, they would have discovered and corrected the AP state.

A similar situation occurred during an Air Inter flight into Strasbourg on 20 January 1992. Then,
with fatal consequences.
https://rvs-bi.de/publications/compendium/incidents_and_accidents/strasbourg_air_inter_a320.html

Plus ca change ............

PBL

Prof. Peter Bernard Ladkin, Bielefeld, Germany
MoreInCommon