[SystemSafety] AI and safety

Olwen Morgan olwen at phaedsys.com
Sat Nov 10 12:32:04 CET 2018

<snip>

There is no connection made from these features which consitute "AI
safety" to harm caused to or the environment, and damage to things,
avoidance of which is the usual definition of safety.

<snip>

With due respect, Peter, this seems to me to be missing the wood for the
trees. The only way we'll ever address the problems associated with
using AI in critical systems is to build experience of what can go
wrong. AFAI can see (maybe wrongly - it's not my field) with current
knowledge, we would be hard pressed even to classify different types of
AI cock-up. Until we can do that, we won't be able to devise effective
systemic countermeasures.

Olwen