[SystemSafety] Fwd: "Protected" Environments

Olwen Morgan olwen at phaedsys.com
Sun Nov 11 12:39:33 CET 2018

<snip>
> Can anyone name any civil system which has successfully established a
> "security environment" (it looks a lot like a "zone" from IEC 62443
> but apparently it is not), within which safety engineers can perform
> safety analyses and design safety functions assuming everything is
> cybersecure?
<snip>

To put this in another perspective, cybersecurity depends, among other
things, on robust cryptography. Currently the strength of our
cryptographic systems rests on the premise that nobody can break
public-key ciphers. As it happens, I know a bit about the history of
cryptography. Throughout that history ciphers have been broken whose
inventors believed they were secure simply because they themselves
didn't know how to break them. As Churchill said, "Those who do not
learn from history are condemned to repeat it."

Just a thought.

olwen